SOUNDS FROM THE SOUTH SOUND

Or---Noise from Titlow Beach in Tacoma, WA

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Hello Old Friend

I've never been much of a journaler/blogger.  Down through the years I've started and stopped too many times to count.  I'm not sure why, but feel compelled to start writing down my thoughts--thus the creation of this blog.  We'll see how it goes!
I turn 60 next week.  It's so strange to look in the mirror at the wrinkles and the gray hairs...funny, I don't feel old inside.  In fact, in a group I tend to identify myself with the younger folks in the room.  I'm just drawn to their energy, their conversations.  I have to stop myself from interjecting my own experiences with childbirth and childraising, career/life experiences, etc.  I realize that my comments are, for the most part,  reflecting times long gone and in the past.  For these people, these experiences are in the here and now--so I'm set apart somehow.  I realize I'm OLD to them. 
But when it comes to sharing about the grandkids, I'm dauntless--relentless, an unstoppable juggernaut!  Look out, world.  This is one proud gramma and I'm going to be heard!  Of course there are no other grandkids that are quite as special as MINE.  I flip out the pictures and I'm off--rambling on about the cute things they say and do, how smart and special each one is, how I love being a gramma.  Oh I could go on and on.
Until I realize the sound of my own voice is filling the universe;  the eyes of my audience have glazed over.  Oopsie...time to back down.  I come to my senses, realizing that my passionate tirade must cease.  Sighing, I get off my gramma soapbox and put the pictures away.  The conversation turns back to current life events of young people living life to the fullest.  So I sit and listen, mostly--identifying so much with what they're going through.  "Been there, done that!" I think to myself.  So I slink off to join the older folks in the room.
Now don't get me wrong.  I like being sixty.  I can keep my regular glasses on top of my head while wearing my sunglasses and nobody thinks a thing about it.  I am able to sit for hours on Saturday mornings with my sweet husband, sipping coffee or diet coke without worrying about needing to hurry through the tasks of the day.  I'm looking forward to retirement and perhaps doing some traveling.  And being able to see the grandkids more often!
Yes, I think I'm going to like being sixty.

No comments:

Post a Comment